Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dance in the Shadows

This poem is brand new, only written last night . . I have struggled with writers block for awhile and it has been so frustrating, especially when I have had no problems writing since I started, way back when I was in Grade 4. . . As I read it over, I realise that it is a reflection on how I can feel about myself at times . . It's not one of my best, but that being said, it's not one of my worst either. . .

Dance in the Shadows

She sat very still by the window, the light
framing her face until day turned to night
and then with the shadows, she'd dance cross the room
her silohette framed by the light of the moon.

Alone in the corners, her memories kept
under the cobwebs, so long ago swept
sheets draped over mirrors so she cannot see
the frame of the woman that she used to be.

Her heart beats the music, replayed in her mind
as she side-steps herself and all she's left behind
counting the stars in her own eyes to see
the illusion of someone, who she'll never be.

As daybreaks and sunlight turns golden the air
by the window she sits again, still in her chair
willing the hours of blue sky away
hiding herself from the light of the day.

Framed by the light through the window, her face
is ageless and knowing and showing her grace
but eyes lowered, lest in the light she can't see
the pieces of self she is too scared to be.

"Bring me the darkness" she cries to herself
"let me dance in the shadows as somebody else
show me no sun and I'll show you no pain"
Show me no give and I'll show you no gain.

She will dance with the shadows, alone with the night
counting the stars until dark turns to light
willing away any chance she may see
the shades of the someone she'd once hoped to be.

And so, by the window, she still sits today
framed by the light she is wasting away
waiting for darkness, so she'll never see
herself as the darkness that she's come to be.

Bella-Magic
copywrite

1 comment:

  1. This captures so beautifully how we can feel about ourselves at time. I know I have felt like this at times over the years. I am so glad that I stepped into the light and left the darknes behind.

    ReplyDelete